It’s long been a common stereotype that cosmetic skin treatments and a solid skincare routine belonged in the world of women, but why should that be the case?
We believe that men should also feel comfortable accessing the treatments they need to address their skin concerns, because everybody deserves to be confident in their own skin. It’s time to stop letting the stigma around taking care of yourself prevent you from looking and feeling your best!
When it comes to your individual needs, men and women actually have different skin types which will slightly alter the way they need to be treated. As is the case with women, the largest bodily organ for men is still the skin, and you can also experience acne, scars, dry skin, and fine lines as you age. But, a man’s skin is 25% thicker than a woman’s, has more pores and (usually) more facial hair, which also means potentially more ingrown hairs. This is why men’s skincare needs to be tailored specifically to your unique needs.
Here are the most common concerns among men, and the skin treatments we recommend to help!
- Dry skin
- Redness or uneven skin tone
- Lines/wrinkles/ageing skin
1. Dry skin
Men can be prone to dry skin due to a number of daily factors, including hot showers or a lack of water throughout the day. On top of this, due to the extra thickness of the male skin, you actually need a deeper level of exfoliation than a female, and more so than that of the products you can buy at the shops.
Microdermabrasion is an ideal treatment to help deeply exfoliate, as the vacuum suction and diamond tip will refresh the skin, remove dead skin cells and congestion within the pores. A custom microdermabrasion can be tailored to focus on hydration in order to replenish moisture into dry skin and stimulate blood flow.
Another option for dry skin treatment is a cosmetic-grade chemical peel, which is designed to remove the dull and dry top layers of skin and regenerate healthier new layers.
Regardless of age, men can still suffer from acne, which can include pimples, blackheads, or lingering acne scars. It can have a significant effect on your self-confidence, not to mention being painful and frustrating. Acne occurs as a result of oil glands which become inflamed or infected.
The best type of treatment for acne includes:
- LED Light Therapy: Works at a cellular level to combat active acne and stimulate blood flow. Yellow LED penetrates deeply to encourage wound healing and rejuvenate the skin to improve radiance and reduce redness. Blue LED is best for targeting active acne by removing the bacteria that lives on the skin, while also improving its texture and shrinking oil glands.
- Microdermabrasion: As mentioned above, your microdermabrasion treatment can be tailored to address your specific skin concerns. In the case of acne, it can be used to promote a clear complexion by balancing oil production and evening out the skin tone.
- Chemical Peels: As chemical peels are designed to cause a controlled partial thickness injury to the skin, they then stimulate normal wound healing and replacement with new, healthy skin with reduced acne.
3. Redness or uneven skin tone
While redness, pigmentation or uneven skin tone can be easily concealed by women with a bit of makeup, for ladies who don’t wear it (or guys), you may be looking for more of a long term solution to get your skin looking clear and fresh.
Skin needling, also known as microneedling or Collagen Induction Therapy (CIT) is the ultimate treatment for reducing imperfections in the skin. Skin needling increases the production of collagen and elastin by using a handheld roller with tiny needles to cause minor perforations in the skin. This causes it to initiate a healing response, which increases firmness of the skin, and reduces scarring and pigmentation in the skin while allowing the active ingredients in your skincare products to penetrate more deeply.
4. Lines/wrinkles/ageing skin
To target the signs of ageing and restore your youthful skin, one of the best skin treatments on the Gold Coast is our signature facial, which is personalised according to your unique skin type and concerns plus a chance to relax for 1.5 hours – that’s a win-win!
It can include:
- Double wash
- Skin assessment
- Deep exfoliation (Microdermabrasion or Hydradermabrasion)
- Warm and gentle steam
- Skin peel
- High frequency
- Vitamin serums
Skin needling is also an effective treatment to reduce any lines and wrinkles that have begun to form in the skin, for a smoother surface.
Gold Coast skin clinic
If you’re still unsure about which treatment is best for your unique skin concerns and needs or would like to find out more information, the first step is to visit Face Studio, our skin clinic in Broadbeach for a complimentary skin assessment. Book online or give our friendly team a call on 07 5526 8722.