For many of us, a weekend well spent usually involves friends and family, a few quality cups of coffee and a bottle of wine (or three) to help unwind after a week of hard work!
Giving yourself the chance to relax is pretty essential for maintaining your sanity, a welcome opportunity to recharge your batteries before the new week begins. An unwelcome part of enjoying these indulgences though, is the impact that your food and drinks can have on your smile, especially when it comes to staining your teeth.
Whether you have an event coming up, you’re sick of relying on your favourite filter to make your smile look brighter, or you just want to enjoy seeing a whiter, fresher set of teeth when you look in the mirror each day, in-chair teeth whitening may be the perfect solution!
If you’re wondering “How does in-chair teeth whitening work?”, keep reading to learn more about this safe and effective way to enhance your smile.
- How does teeth whitening work at the dentist?
- How long does teeth whitening take at the dentist?
- How effective is professional teeth whitening?
- Who is suitable for teeth whitening?
- How long does teeth whitening last?
- Is professional teeth whitening safe?
- How much does Gold Coast teeth whitening cost?
How does teeth whitening work at the dentist?
Here’s what to expect during the professional teeth whitening process:
- Your dentist will check your current shade and take some before photos if you’ve given your consent, so you can compare the amazing result after your treatment
- They will then prepare your mouth by inserting a rubber appliance and gauze seals to prevent the bleaching gel from moving onto sensitive areas like your gums, cheeks, tongue and lips
- Your dentist will paint a layer of advanced whitening gel onto your teeth then shine a blue LED lamp onto your teeth to heat and activate the solution to better penetrate the tooth enamel, to accelerate the whitening process. The lamp’s settings can be easily adjusted to make sure you’re comfortable throughout your treatment.
- This is done three times within a 45 minute period to ensure the brightest results in a short period of time!
- When the desired shade is achieved, your dentist will apply the post-treatment gel to reduce sensitivity and protect your tooth enamel.
If you’ve chosen to include a take-home teeth whitening kit, you’ll also receive your custom whitening trays and teeth whitening gel to take with you, so you can maintain your new bright smile at home.
How long does teeth whitening take at the dentist?
Your dental appointment will take approximately an hour in total once you’ve discussed your needs and desired outcomes and if you’ve also opted to have custom trays made for a take-home teeth whitening kit. The actual whitening process though is quick and easy, only taking 45 minutes. This is the perfect amount of time to fit in an episode of your favourite Netflix series on our ceiling TV’s at Oasis Dental Studio!
How effective is professional teeth whitening?
Professional teeth whitening delivers better, faster results than over-the-counter teeth whitening kits, with ZOOM! in-chair teeth whitening having the ability to whiten your teeth by up to 8 shades in one session. The treatment can remove stains caused by food and drink, ageing and discolouration caused by medication.
You will see the whiter results immediately after, which will further improve over the course of a couple of weeks as the teeth rehydrate and settle.
Who is suitable for teeth whitening?
It’s best to discuss with your dentist your specific needs and goals, as there may be more suitable alternatives for your situation to achieve a brighter smile depending on the results you want, your budget and lifestyle.
Your dentist may suggest alternatives if you:
- Are a smoker – Continuing to smoke after treatment will cause more discolouration and will reduce the longevity of your results
- Have overly sensitive teeth – There’s a chance you may experience some sensitivity during the whitening treatment, which your dentist may want to prevent from increasing
- Severe discolouration – Whitening results may not be as significant if your teeth are very discoloured, and may require other cosmetic dental treatments such as veneers or crowns for a permanently whiter smile.
If you have minimal staining or more time, they may recommend a take-home whitening kit or even a thorough clean at your hygiene appointment to remove surface stains instead.
How long does teeth whitening last?
The length of time that your ZOOM! in-chair whitening results last will depend on your lifestyle habits. Continuing to consume foods and beverages that stain your teeth, or smoking cigarettes will begin to discolour your teeth again over time and they will eventually become the same colour they were previously.
You can maintain your brighter smile for several years by rinsing your mouth with water after consuming staining foods and drinks, as well as practicing good oral hygiene by:
- Brushing your teeth twice a day with fluoride toothpaste
- Flossing once a day
- Visiting your dentist for a check-up and clean every 6 months
Don’t forget to include these foods that naturally whiten teeth into your diet!
Is professional teeth whitening safe?
Improper or inexperienced teeth whitening, especially with poor-fitting, over-the-counter teeth whitening kits can result in tooth sensitivity or chemical burns.This is because they are not custom-made to fit your teeth, which results in the bleach travelling into the sensitive areas of your mouth, where it can cause damage when left for long periods of time.
However, professional teeth whitening with our highly experienced Gold Coast dentists at Oasis Dental Studio will mean your teeth will be treated as safely as possible with the best results.
How much does Gold Coast teeth whitening cost?
At Oasis Dental Studio, our ZOOM! In-chair teeth whitening starts from $495, and our custom take-home teeth whitening kits start from $195.*
To get a customised quote for teeth whitening prices, or to discuss any questions or concerns related to the treatment, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with our lovely team!
- Broadbeach Dental Practice: 07 5526 8722
- Palm Beach Dental Practice: 07 5525 6610
- Chirn Park Dental Practice: 07 5627 1127
*Pricing is correct as at the date of publication and is subject to change without notice. Please note: The results of this treatment vary from patient to patient. Your own treatment may differ from that described here. Speak to your dentist for an explanation of what you can expect.