What Does Saliva Do?
Have you ever wondered what saliva is and why we produce it? There are a number of reasons why saliva plays an important role in keeping a healthy oral environment!
What is Saliva Made Of?
It is mostly made up of water, it also has substances that assist in digesting food and keeping the teeth strong.
Why is Saliva Important?
There are many benefits of saliva, which all have a positive effect on our teeth, gums, and function of the mouth as a whole:
- Saliva keeps the mouth moist and comfortable
- It helps with chewing, tasting and swallowing
- Assists in combating some germs in the mouth and prevents bad breath
- Has proteins and minerals that protect the teeth and gums
- Saliva is a powerful natural defence against erosion and tooth decay
- The saliva flow can neutralise the acid in the mouth
- It can also help in repairing early stages of demineralised enamel surface
Tips for Healthy Saliva Flow
There are several ways to increase the flow of your saliva to ensure your mouth is in its best shape:
- Drink plenty of water, keep up your hydration
- Chew sugar-free gum after meals
- Be aware that some medications can result in reduced saliva production
Contact Oasis Dental Today for Gold Coast’s Trusted General Dentist
If you need further assistance with keeping your oral health at its best, contact our friendly dental team at Oasis Dental Studio. We’d be more than happy to answer any questions you may have, or help you make an appointment for a consultation!